How do we set up math tutoring?
Please use our secure registration form to sign up for tutoring. (If you are registering using a mobile device, review the tutoring options on our FAQs page.) Based on your registration information, we will match you with the best tutor for your needs, schedule, and location. We also offer online math tutoring to students anywhere in the world. Please click here for extensive details about our online math tutoring.
What math subjects do we tutor?
We provide individual tutoring for the following math classes and math topics:
- College Math
- Middle School Math
- Elementary Math
- SAT Math
- SAT Math Level 1 Subject Test
- SAT Math Level 2 Subject Test
- ACT Math
- GRE Math
- GMAT Math
- Math Anxiety
- General Math Skills
Who provides the math tutoring?
You can read biographies of our instructors here. We have the best math tutors in the area, all of whom have extensive teaching experience and expertise in advanced mathematics.
How much do you charge for math tutoring?
Math tutoring is offered at an hourly rate of $90 with one of our highly trained associate tutors.
Where do your math tutors teach?
Our math tutors are available to meet students at a variety of locations throughout the Columbus, Ohio area. You and your tutor will determine the best place to meet, such as a library or coffee shop. We have worked with students from Dublin, New Albany, Bexley, Upper Arlington, Hilliard, Worthington, Powell, Grandview Heights, Granville, Columbus and beyond. For students who live farther away, or prefer maximum flexibility with scheduling, we are available for online math tutoring from the convenience of your home via our Socrates online learning platform. The more flexible you can be as far as times and locations, the more likely we will be able to accommodate you.
What is a typical math tutoring session like?
Our number one priority is to make sure your child understands the math concepts in such a way that he or she is able to perform extremely well on school mathematics tests. We make this possible by (1) reviewing and teaching material that your child has struggled with on past assessments, (2) helping your child with ongoing math homework assignments, (3) practicing mathematics comprehension using exercises from your child’s textbook and a variety of online math exercises, and (4) working ahead in the math class syllabus so your child is not overwhelmed when he or she is taught new material. The “common denominator” (pun intended) of our tutoring is that we listen to what our students need, and we provide them with customized instruction to teach them as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Why do so many students struggle with math? How can your tutors help?
- Unlike most other subjects in school, Math is very sequential. If a student does not grasp an idea from algebra, it can haunt him throughout his high school career. We determine what building blocks are missing in a student’s math learning and turn those weak areas into strengths.
- Math is more conceptual than knowledge-based. With many subjects, a student can easily prepare for a test by memorizing facts from a review sheet. With math, however, students become stuck as they hit concepts they cannot comprehend on their own. Our math tutors believe there is no such thing as a stupid question. They will help students wrap their minds around challenging math concepts by explaining them in a way that is clear, concise, and compassionate.
- Math can be tough to teach in a group setting. While teachers do the best they can to explain things in a way and at a pace that works for every student, given the different ability levels of students, this can be quite difficult to do. Students are often reluctant to ask questions in a group class for fear of “looking stupid.” In a private math tutoring session, your child will feel comfortable asking about whatever she needs, and she can be assured that it will be explained in a way and at a pace that optimizes her learning.